Release 0.10.0 (November 29, 2018)¶
- New user interface. Improved look-and-feel, performance, and modernized color scheme. Simplified setup guide for creating new feeds.
- Template Manager New template management that enables admins to quickly update when new versions of templates become available or publish templates for the enterprise.
- Wrangler improvements. Many new features have been added to the wrangler to make data scientists more productive. Features includes: quick data clean; improved schema manipulation; new data transformations, including imputing new values; column statistics view.
- Data Catalog. New virtual catalog to access remote datasets to wrangle, preview, and feed setup. Kylo 0.10 includes the following connectors: Amazon S3, Azure, HDFS, Hive, JDBC, Local Files, NAS Filesystem
- Search custom properties. Any custom properties defined for feeds and categories are indexed and available via the global metadata search feature.
Kylo UI Plugin Changes¶
- The Catalog page used to allow you to query and preview data. This has been removed. You will now need to go to the wrangler to preview catalog data sets
Upgrade Instructions from v0.9.1¶
Before getting started we suggest backing up your Kylo database.
- Backup any custom Kylo plugins
When Kylo is uninstalled it will backup configuration files, but not the /plugin jar files. If you have any custom plugins in either kylo-services/plugin or kylo-ui/plugin then you will want to manually back them up to a different location.
Kylo ui plugins 0.9.x or earlier will not work with 0.10.0. If you had custom kylo ui code please refer to this doc to migrate your code to a 0.10.0 compatible plugin: Kylo UI Plugin Upgrade
- Uninstall Kylo:
- Install the new RPM:
rpm –ivh <RPM_FILE>
Restore previous application.properties files. If you have customized the the application.properties, copy the backup from the 0.9.1 install.
4.1 Find the /bkup-config/TIMESTAMP/kylo-services/application.properties file
- Kylo will backup the application.properties file to the following location, /opt/kylo/bkup-config/YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_millis/kylo-services/application.properties, replacing the “YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_millis” with a valid time:
4.2 Copy the backup file over to the /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf folder
### move the application.properties shipped with the .rpm to a backup file mv /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf/application.properties /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf/application.properties.0_10_0_template ### copy the backup properties (Replace the YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_millis with the valid timestamp) cp /opt/kylo/bkup-config/YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_millis/kylo-services/application.properties /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf
4.3 If you copied the backup version of application.properties in step 4.2 you will need to make a couple of other changes based on the 0.10.0 version of the properties file
A new spring profile of ‘kylo-shell’ is needed. Below is an example
vi /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf/application.properties ## add in the 'kylo-shell' profile (example below) spring.profiles.include=native,nifi-v1.2,auth-kylo,auth-file,search-esr,jms-activemq,auth-spark,kylo-shell
Add the following new properties below:
#default location where Kylo looks for templates. This is a read-only location and Kylo UI won't be able to publish to this location. #Additional repositories can be setup using config/repositories.json where templates can be published kylo.template.repository.default=/opt/kylo/setup/data/templates/nifi-1.0 kylo.install.template.notification=true
4.4 Repeat previous copy step (4.2 above) for other relevant backup files to the /opt/kylo/kylo-services/conf folder. Some examples of files:
NOTE: Be careful not to overwrite configuration files used exclusively by Kylo
4.5 Copy the /bkup-config/TIMESTAMP/kylo-ui/application.properties file to /opt/kylo/kylo-ui/conf
Ensure the new property ‘zuul.routes.api.sensitiveHeaders’ exists. Example below
vi /opt/kylo/kylo-ui/conf/application.properties zuul.prefix=/proxy zuul.routes.api.path=/** zuul.routes.api.url=http://localhost:8420/api ## add this line below for 0.10.0 zuul.routes.api.sensitiveHeaders
The multipart.maxFileSize and multipart.maxRequestSize properties have changed. Update these 2 properties to be the following:
### allow large file uploads spring.http.multipart.maxFileSize=100MB spring.http.multipart.maxRequestSize=-1
4.6 Ensure the property
security.jwt.keyin both kylo-services and kylo-ui application.properties file match. They property below needs to match in both of these files:
4.7 (If using Elasticsearch for search) Create/Update Kylo Indexes
Execute a script to create/update kylo indexes. If these already exist, Elasticsearch will report an
index_already_exists_exception. It is safe to ignore this and continue. Change the host and port if necessary.
/opt/kylo/bin/create-kylo-indexes-es.sh localhost 9200 1 1
service nifi stop
Run the following shell script to copy over the new NiFi nars/jars to get new changes to NiFi processors and services.
/opt/kylo/setup/nifi/update-nars-jars.sh <NIFI_HOME> <KYLO_SETUP_FOLDER> <NIFI_LINUX_USER> <NIFI_LINUX_GROUP> Example: /opt/kylo/setup/nifi/update-nars-jars.sh /opt/nifi /opt/kylo/setup nifi users
Configure NiFi with Kylo’s shared Encryption Key
- Copy the Kylo encryption key file to the NiFi extention config directory
cp /opt/kylo/encrypt.key /opt/nifi/ext-config
- Change the ownership and permissions of the key file to ensure only nifi can read it
chown nifi /opt/nifi/ext-config/encrypt.key chmod 400 /opt/nifi/ext-config/encrypt.key
- Edit the
/opt/nifi/current/bin/nifi-env.shfile and add the ENCRYPT_KEY variable with the key value
export ENCRYPT_KEY="$(< /opt/nifi/ext-config/encrypt.key)"
service nifi start
Install XML support if not using Hortonworks.
Start Kylo to begin the upgrade
NiFi must be started and available during the Kylo upgrade process.
If entity access is enabled, the Hive data source will no longer be accessible to all users by default. To grant permissions to Hive go to the Catalog page and click the pencil icon to the left of the Hive data source. This page will provide options for granting access to Hive or granting permissions to edit the data source details.
If, after the upgrade, you experience any UI issues in your browser then you may need to empty your browser’s cache.
Mandatory Template Updates¶
New User Interface¶
Kylo now has a new user interface for creating and editing feeds.
Editing feeds is separate from deploying to NiFi. This allows you to edit and save your feed state and when ready deploy it.
Centralized feed information. The feed activity view of the running feed jobs is now integrated with the feed setup.
Kylo allows you to create and browse various catalog sources. Kylo ships with the following datasource connectors: Amazon S3, Azure, HDFS, Hive, JDBC, Local Files
During feed creation and data wrangling you can browse the catalog to preview and select specific sources to work with:
Note: Kylo Datasources have been upgraded to a new Catalog feature. All legacy JDBC and Hive datasources will be automatically converted to catalog data source entries.
The Wrangler has been upgraded with many new features.
- New quick clean feature allows you to modify the entire dataset